Friday, August 20, 2010

Marvels Redux

I made my refuge
in the company of youth, who can be here
and not be here, their minds a world away
I searched for a place to be held, not as a prisoner
but as a child in a parent's arms

I yearned to confirm that a message
had been received,
even if the answer
was by smoke signal or telegraph
Even if it's the honking of mad geese overhead
or it comes from a box of Cracker Jacks
or from a dream I once had
It's still an answer

Anything but silence, the echoing silence of
crystalline rooms
where someone who purports to be human
prods you without a touch, uses words
like a pair of forceps
When you don't need to be
born twice
You just need something like noise
once in a while.

----------------------------
This one is a rough draft, and I'm not sure what to
do with it. Thanks for reading, and giving any thoughts or
suggestions.

2 comments:

Lynn Alexander said...

Dear Rebecca,
I did not realize you had a site! I hope we can reconnect soon, hope things are going well.

I'm glad to see you posting your poems. Time to think about a chap?

Anonymous said...

This poem is great. The idea of not needing two births is original and well placed. Loved it.